Experienced Ruby/Web Developer
Experienced Ruby/Web Developer - Full time
At itison we believe life is about the experience.
We match our 1.7 million members with the best local experiences; work with over 5,000 of the best local and national businesses; create Scotland’s most spectacular major events; own and operate some of the best local venues and set up our own charity, itison us, to give experiences to those who need them the most.
We also believe that the experience starts with us, with an amazing culture, benefits and working environment.
We're looking for a talented Ruby on Rails developer with a strong background in web development, to join our team.
What's the role?
This is a full-time position for a UK based developer who can make at least quarterly trips to our Glasgow office, or can choose to work from there full time.
This role will see you working within our six person Development team to improve our existing products and develop new services for our users. The teams' focus is the itison.com e-commerce site and the associated apps, which process thousands of transactions every day and help businesses across the UK reach our users. We also develop a suite of internal tools to help run our company.
You'll work closely with the rest of the team to produce high-quality, tested code for our products and be expected to take ownership of projects from planning through to implementation and launch.
- Develop our internal and external web applications
- Develop new services for our members.
- Provide technical assessments of tools/platforms
- Improve our team processes and workflows
- Support/debug our existing products
What we're looking for:
- At least two years experience with Ruby/Rails
- Experience with automated testing - we use Rspec but any framework would be fine.
- Experience working on non-trivial commercial or open projects
- Experience with common stablemates of Rails such as Nginx, MySQL, Unicorn, Redis, etc.
- Ability to efficiently manage your own time and work without close supervision
- Experience with Linux server administration
- Experience mentoring junior developers (although this will not form part of the role at this point)
- An interest in iOS/Android development
Package & Benefits:
- Competitive salary of £35,000 - £55,000, depending on experience
- Learning/Conference budget for ongoing training
- Weekly allocation of time towards training
- Monthly budget for donating to open source projects.
- Private medical
- Pension scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity benefits
- Regular opportunities for nights out and social events
- itison discount
- State-of-the-art office offering lunchtime yoga/pilates classes, relaxation zones, and a cafe/bar area fully stocked with breakfast cereals, soft drinks and fruit.
Our Development team consists of three Ruby developers who work on our apps, one DevOp who wrangles our servers and one Front-end developer. We have stand-ups and use automated testing, but couldn't claim to work to a strict methodology like Agile. We aim for an open, grown-up culture where everyone has an equal voice in discussions.
If you have any questions about the role, or would like to discuss it further before applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
No agencies or recruiters, please.