Front End Developer
Front End Developer - Full-time
itison is looking for a talented front-end developer to join our team.
Based within our Glasgow Merchant City office, this role will see you working within the six-person Development team to improve our existing products and help develop new services.
The teams' focus is itison.com which processes thousands of transactions every day and helps businesses across the UK reach our users. You’ll work closely with the rest of the Development team and the Design team to deliver high-quality, accessible code for our sites and emails. With more than a million members, your work will be seen and enjoyed by an enormous national audience.
We aim to produce high-quality, tested code for our product. Developers are expected to take ownership of projects from planning through to implementation and launch, and to communicate with Development and Design colleagues to ensure that
The role will primarily be based in our HQ in Glasgow city centre, so applicants ideally need to be based locally or within the UK. We are currently working a hybrid model of three days per week in the office and two days at home.
- Maintain and enhance our front-end workflows and testing
- Advocate for best practices within the team and our stack
- Participate in code review
- Work closely with both our Design team and server-side developers, contributing to planning phases, and helping to inform the team of front-end possibilities and constraints
What we're looking for:
- Professional real-world experience of front-end development for web applications
- Excellent knowledge of modern CSS solutions
- Experience of web accessibility best practices and front-end performance improvements
- Ability to efficiently manage your own time and work without close supervision
- Experience with Ruby/Rails
- Experience of Hotwire or Stimulus JS
- Professional design and/or UX experience
- A track record of working within a distributed team
Package & benefits:
- Competitive salary £30k - £40k dependent on experience
- Company bonus
- Private health care
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Learning/Conference budget for ongoing training
- Weekly time allowance for developing your skills
- Birthday day off, Charity day, and holiday-buy scheme
- 10% itison and 50% itison venues discount
- Budget for co-working rental for distributed staff
- Great colleagues and regular social events
- State of the art HQ, with lunchtime yoga and Pilates classes, relaxation and stretching zones, cereal bar, soft-drink fridge, and a never-ending fruit bowl
Based within our Glasgow Merchant City office, though currently in a hybrid working model with 2 days p/w working from home.
itison.com is Scotland’s No. 1 deals and events service with over 1.5 million members buying tens of thousands of deals every month. We’re a profitable, bootstrapped company that has grown each year since we were founded in 2010.
The Development Team consists of four Ruby and two Front-end developers plus one DevOp who wrangles our servers. We do stand-ups and use automated testing, but couldn't claim to work to a specific methodology like Agile or XP. We aim for an open, grown-up culture where everyone has an equal voice in decisions. We use Rails 5/6, HTML, SCSS, jQuery, Stimulus JS, and Elastic, as well as Rspec, CodeClimate, Invision, and Github.
We're a company of around 70 people based across the UK, mostly in our Glasgow head office.
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team: we score about 10 out of 12.
- Do you use source control? Yes
- Can you make a build in one step? Yes
- Do you make daily builds? Yes
- Do you have a bug database? Yes
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Not always, but we try
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes
- Do you have a spec? Yes
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? Yes
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? Yes
- Do you have testers? No, developers do testing
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? Not in interview, but we'll give some 2-3 hr take-home problems.
- Do you do hallway usability testing? Sometimes, but not always.
If you have any questions about the role or would like to discuss it further before applying, please email email@example.com
No agencies, recruiters, or applicants who are not based in the UK, please.